Introduced by Robert Atkins, the Atkins diet is a low-carb diet. Robert Atkins has created this diet to lower his own body weight. The concept of Atkins diet is in relation to a low carb or high protein diet to reduce weight within a short period of time. Atkins offers a range of health benefits which makes it a perfect diet. If you’re looking to follow this diet plan to reduce weight, you need to determine its pros and cons before you bring it to your routine.
Pros of Atkins Diet
This diet plan works for those who follow a structured diet plan. Here are some pros of preferring this diet plan:
- Lower weight: When followed properly, Atkins diet help you reduce weight within a limited period of time.
- Enhanced health: It is a great choice to improve your overall health. Helps you in reducing sugar intake and improving cholesterol levels.
- Improve mental health: This diet plan also helps you in boosting your mental health.
- Reduce appetite: Atkins diet builds a ketosis state in which your body starts using fat as energy source. As a result, you feel less hungry and more energetic as compared to others diets.
- Other health benefits: This diet helps you in controlling insulin release. And this is great when it comes to staving off metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
- Easy availability: The resources of Atkins diet are widely available in the market. You can find everything easily you’re looking for.
Cons of the Atkins Diets
There are several cons of this diet if you don’t follow it properly. Let’s have a look:
- Difficult to follow: Atkins diet means a low-carb diet plan is very challenging to stick to for a long duration. You need to avoid all carbohydrate foods you enjoy.
- Kidney problems: As you may know, this diet plan includes high proteins, which means, it can cause several kidney issues.
- Heart problems: Atkins diet is high in saturated fats means it contributes to heart attack, heart disease, and stroke.
- Possible weight regains: If you start eating high carbohydrate foods, there is a high chance to regain the weight you’ve lost. You need to bring low-carb foods to your lifestyle to produce long-lasting and maintainable weight loss.
- Unpleasant side-effects of Atkins diet: In some cases, this diet includes some side-effects, like bad breath, dizziness, insomnia, dehydration, lethargy, constipation, and more.
- The low extent of minerals and vitamins: Atkins diet plan means a poor nutritionally-balanced diet plan as it allows you to intake fewer vitamins and minerals. Leads to the lack of nutritional part in the body.
Most of the dieters have experienced great benefits by following Atkins diet plan but it doesn’t work for everyone. These pros and cons of Atkin diet can help you decide the diet plan is good for you or not. You can compare this diet plan with other plans like Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, and The South Beach Diet, to determine which one is effective for you. Still, confused? Talk to a healthcare provider or registered dietitian for proper guidance.